Here's to the new year: 2015


Happy New Year to all you lovely people out there!  Wow, what a whirlwind of a year.  First of all, I apologise for my complete hiatus from blogging and all-round slackness but I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to start again with the new year.  Each passing year seems to go by faster than the last, and 2014 was no exception.  It was full of many highs, but equally as many lows.  Fortunately, it's officially all in the past and I'm determined to make 2015 the best year yet.  This year, I'll be approaching my second year of uni and hopefully encountering many adventures and meeting new people.

I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions or the whole "new year, new me", but I've decided to compile a list of goals I really want to work towards in 2015.

1. Stay positive I hate to admit it, but sometimes I am a pessimist and will think of the worst case scenario or dwell on the negatives.  This really affects my mood and more importantly life, which is what I really came to discover last year.  Therefore, the concept of changing your mindset and focusing on the positives of each situation, as difficult as it can be at times, is crucial to living harmoniously and contently with yourself and others.

2. Be more grateful It can sometimes be challenging to remain grateful in such a materialistic world where we become fogged by the likes of celebrities and who-has-what.  I'm going to  try my best to focus more on what I do have rather than what I don't as well as say thank you to others more often (this may or may not be an excuse to buy cute thank you notes from Kikki.K.). "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.  It turns what we have into enough, and more."

3. Live healthy  2014 marked the beginning of healthy eating, but as the year progressed and my bank account slowly diminished I was looking for cheaper alternatives especially while at uni (cue fast food).  This made me feel sluggish and sick, so this year I plan on making an effort to make healthier choices, like bringing my own food to uni.  Part of a healthy lifestyle also includes incorporating exercise into your daily life, and I definitely haven't (exercise is not my thing).  I'm not a huge fan of the gym so instead, I hope to go on more bike rides, walks and start yoga in 2015.

4. Less time on social media  Social media has become a significant part of modern day life and I'm fairly sure most people's grandma's are even on Facebook.  With this being said, it has become increasingly difficult to detach myself from social networking and the hours wasted on it are unimaginable.  With social media also comes always comparing you life to others.  I admit I've done this as well but it's difficult not to when you see other people's Instagrams of them going on cool adventures and partying, while you're sitting in bed at home.  What we all need to remember is that people choose what parts of their life they want on display in the form of a small square, and if we want to do fun things, we have to create our own adventures.  So this year, I'm going to attempt to shut myself off as much as possible and learn to stop comparing.

5. Make more time for things Last year, I found myself watching time pass by each day and made excuses as to why I couldn't accomplish many things.  Recently I found a quote (I'm a huge fan of inspirational quotes if you couldn't already tell) which really put things in perspective for me and I realised that I will never find time for anything and instead, if I want time, I must make it.

6. Go on new adventures This year I want to embark on new journeys and adventures through travelling.  Even as a young child, this was all I wanted to do.  Now that I'm officially an 'adult' (what is life) and have found my feet at uni, it's time to start saving and finding myself in new places with new people and experiences.  At the current moment, I'm planning a holiday to Europe this year, which will be my first solo trip (this makes me equal parts excited and also nervous!).  One of my best friends is also moving to Melbourne which will then mean saving even more pennies to see her often.

7. Take more photographs Towards the end of 2014, I took an interest in photography and recently bought myself a new camera.  I'm looking forward to taking more thought out photos, especially for the blog and hopefully will be purchasing a film camera very soon!

8. Be more present In terms of uni, I found myself in a rut last year where I did not experience uni life to its full potential.  With the new freedom and optional lectures, I found myself absent more often than present not just at uni, but also in general.  I was uncertain of my direction and lacked motivation as a result.  This year, I want to be more involved and strive harder to work towards my dreams whatever they may be.  Attendance would also probably be ideal ha-ha.

9. Meet new people  As mentioned above, I wasn't present at uni for majority of the time which affected the influx of new people and friends in my life.  Obviously I couldn't see my friends from high school as frequently, and since I barely made the effort to make new friends I found myself alone at uni quite often which only made my experience worse.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with spending time alone with yourself (I quite enjoy it), but it's not always fun. So this year, I'm looking forward to meeting new people, hearing their stories and making new friends.

10. Blog more This is probably an obvious one seeing as I stopped for almost 4 months, but I really want to aim to post more often this year and use this as a creative outlet to express myself.

This is a pretty overwhelming list, but clearly I'll have a lot to work on.  I can't wait to conquer 2015 and I hope this year is the best one yet for all of you out there!


Keisha x

8 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Here's my blog if you would like to check it out:)

    http://paigejasmine.blogspot.co.uk/

    Paige xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and your new years resolutions are on theme with what I'm wanting to do this year too! I hope you succeed
    Katie xo
    http://ktmyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Good luck with your goals for 2015 too x

      Delete
  3. Really enjoyed reading your resolutions! Happy 2015! xx

    http://ameliajanenewman.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just checked out your blog and I love it x

      Delete
  4. Great resolutions for 2015! Hope you will achieve them all! Happy New Year x

    Jana
    Life of Jana

    ReplyDelete
  5. good resolutions! i don't really have any specific ones besides travel more and just try to be more positive :)

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete