MONTHLY FAVOURITES | July 2014


So it's about 11 days into August, which means I'm about 11 days late with my July Favourites.  So  without any further adieu, I would like to present the things I adored/could not live without in the month of July.

It's a long one, so grab some snacks and some tea!

Bourjois Happy Light Foundation (Golden Beige)
This foundation has seriously been a staple in my makeup routine.  A few months back, I ventured into Priceline hoping to find an everyday foundation to replace my Nars Sheer Glow, which became too full coverage for everyday wear (plus it was running out way too quickly $$).  Low and behold, I picked up this amazing foundation.  It leaves a semi-matte finish, yet gives the appearance of glowy skin (in a not-so shiny way).  It also has nice coverage to even out the skin and is definitely buildable to a medium coverage, without being too cakey.  It's also a perfect colour match for me, so naturally I only have good things to say about this.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer (Sand)
My skin in the month of July has had its highs and lows, so this concealer has definitely come in very handy.  I love that this range has shades to suit both pink and yellow skin tones, with this particular shade being suited for yellow-toned complexions.  Although a little lighter than my actual skin tone, this concealer is perfect for brightening around the eyes and covering any red areas.  It has also worked well on any breakouts or blemishes I incurred last month.  Plus, it's super inexpensive - love!

Excuse the grubby packaging!  I know, the shame...

Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
My mum actually purchased some Korean makeup online recently and I decided to give some of the products a try.  This loose powder is translucent and comes in this super small and light packaging.  I was skeptical at first about the translucent aspect of this powder since my skin is naturally tan, but surprisingly it doesn't wash me out. It's a great powder which keeps my makeup on all day and ensures my oily areas are kept at bay.

Illamasqua Powder Blush (Lover)
So basically, Illamasqua for the very first time opened up where I live so naturally, I had to check it out ASAP, leading me to inevitably make a purchase.  Lover is a beautiful peachy coral shade which goes so well with tan/olive skin tones as well as bronzy and smokey makeup looks.  It's a super pigmented blush, so you can use it sparingly and is also matte, which I love.  I picked this blush up for only $28 from Myers, which I think is such a bargain for a higher end blush.


Nyx Auto Eyebrow Pencil (Charcoal)
What drew me in towards this product was its resemblance to the Anastasia Brow Wiz and Hourglass Arch Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil (but only for a fraction of the price).  The pencil comes out of a twisting device and has an almost hard, waxy formula.  The shade charcoal is amazing for asian eyebrows or those of you with black eyebrow hairs since its an ashy cool-tone grey, instead of a stark black.  It's so quick and easy to use and is also incredibly cheap.  I picked this one up from Target for $8.95.

Benefit They're Real Mascara
I managed to get this sample size mascara during a mascara swap, where all you have to do is bring in a mascara of any size/brand which you've used up, to a Benefit counter and they'll swap it over with a mini They're Real mascara.  This was perfect because I had always wanted to try it, but never wanted to spend the money since I could get a perfectly capable mascara for a third of the price.  That aside, this mascara is amazing at lengthening and volumising my lashes, and holds a curl great.  It's long lasting and I can rely on this to not give me panda eyes after a couple hours of wear.  If you're keen to try this out, but don't want to spend the money, I recommend waiting around for the next mascara swap.  I would definitely purchase this!


Essie Nail Polish (Wicked)
This shade is basically wicked (both figuratively and literally).  I'm a big fan of Essie nail polishes and this does not disappoint.  I remember Sammi from 'Beautycrush' talking about this shade in a video ages ago and I LOVE dark burgundy/red colours, so this was on the top of my list.  It's basically a deep purple with red undertones and almost looks black in some lighting.  I literally only wore this colour in all of July - two coats and I'm good to go!

Burt's Bees Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter
My lips were going through a bit of a rough patch (ha-ha) so I needed something to soothe and heal my chapped lips.  Tanya Burr spoke so highly of this so I knew I had to give it a go and she was right.  It smells ah-mazing, it's full of natural ingredients and it did a great job of keeping my lips smooth and moisturised during July.

Innisfree Glow Lipstick (5)
This was part of the Korean makeup my mum hauled last month and I have to say, this lipstick is awesome.  It resembles a lip balm with it's super moisturising component (which is great if you have dry lips like me), but is as pigmented as a lipstick.  I find bold lips hard to maintain throughout the day, but this lipstick is so long lasting and because of the balmy consistency, it's so easy to re-apply.  


Princess by Vera Wang Perfume
I've had this perfume for quite a while, but it was always a little neglected since Daisy by Marc Jacobs has been my go-to for years.  Since I was running low on my MJ perfume, I decided to give this a little loving and I'm now hooked!  This perfume is described as having a fruity floral scent, with hints of vanilla (mm so good). And I mean c'mon, how cute is the packaging?!

Batiste Dry Shampoo
Recently, I've gotten into the bad habit of washing my hair everyday which now means my hair does not last more than a day without getting greasy.  This dry shampoo was on sale so I decided to give it a try and it has saved me (kind of).  Plus the coconut scent is heavenly, mmm!

Xiaomi Piston 2 Earphones
I've basically been living off a number of $5 crappy earphones for the past 6 months, so once I got my hands on these I was over the moon.  Earphones are crucial in my daily life since I'm always at uni or catching public transport.  The gold detailing is simply gorgeous and the chocolate brown complements it so well.  The cord is also made of an unusual sturdy material, rather than the normal rubber which is a nice touch, plus I know these won't be prone to falling apart as easy. It comes with 4 ear bud attachments, varying in many sizes and the case it comes with is so handy.  The sound quality is also amazing!


The earphones look black in this photo, but they're definitely a chocolate brown
Breakfast At Tiffany's (Film)
In July, I read Truman Capote's famous novella, 'Breakfast At Tiffany's'.  After completing the book, I watched the film adaptation for the first time and fell completely in love.  I know it's weird, but I actually enjoyed the film more than the book, plus Audrey Hepburn is a sight for sore eyes.  Such a classic and so timeless.

Game of Thrones and Orange is the New Black (TV show)
After my exams, I basically just went all out and managed to watch these shows in a few days (separately of course).  I am so late on the Game of Thrones bandwagon, but holy smokes this show is the shizz.  At first I was terrified and had no idea what I was in for, but despite all the graphics (nudity/violence) I am completely hooked.  I love the numerous storylines going on at once and the actors play their characters so well.

Orange is the New Black has been on top of my watch list for awhile and I finally managed to get around it.  To begin with, I found it really slow and didn't get all the hype around it, but I eventually could not stop watching it.  I love the humour and the characters are so diverse.  It definitely brings a new light to prison, well at least female prison.  Now I'll have to go through withdrawal for a whole year before I can watch both of these shows again (sigh).

Mikhael Paskalev and Andy Bull (Music)
July involved a couple music gigs which is always exciting.  Mikhael Paskalev is a Norwegian/Bulgarian artist who brings a great twist to folk/pop music.  He's well known for his song I Spy, but Jive Babe and Sayonara Saigon, which are all featured on his What's Life Without Losers EP, are also worth noting.  His music is seriously great and will have you dancing on your feet.  The gig was amazing and his band had such a great presence and vibe.


Andy Bull was a new discovery last month and his gig was just as fun!  He is an Australian artist and his music fits under the alternative pop category with electro-synth sounds entwined, accompanying his unique voice amazingly.  He recently dropped a new album titled 'Sea of Approval' which features some of my favourite tracks such as Talk Too Much, Baby I Am Nobody Now and in particular, Keep On Running.



Repping the Innisfree Glow Lipstick in 05 at the Andy Bull gig
This month's favourites is ridiculously lengthy, but nevertheless I hope you enjoyed reading through my babbling.  

Keisha x



4 comments:

  1. Coconut dry shampoo??!!? Sign me up. Sounds like a near magical product. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell alone is amazing, such a handy product to have! x

      Delete
  2. Batiste dry shampoos are always great! Awesome post!!! :)

    Monday mask have just began, for a healthier hair visit: www.hairtohips.blogspot.com.es/
    Just beginning but it would mean a lot! Thank you so much!!! Kisses from Barcelona :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're one of my favourites :) Thanks for reading, i'll definitely check it out! x

      Delete